Artist Mike Bell – AC Commission’s Art Box Project
In 1969, a coalition of forward-looking citizens founded the Atlantic City Arts Commission under the leadership of Florence Valore Miller, a legendary champion of arts and culture in Atlantic City.
During its rich history of arts promotion and support, the Commission has:
• Preserved public arts and monuments
• Sponsored, managed and promoted public arts, murals and other beautification projects
• Built coalitions of artists, arts consumers and city planners for the better good
• Brought public attention to the wide range of arts and arts activities
• Served as an advisory board of arts and arts planning experts to both public and private sector leaders and linking expertise to those seeking to forward arts related projects
• Helped artists, planners and producers navigate regulatory and approval processes and grant applications in pursuit of public arts projects
• Created and managed exhibitions including the Garden Pier Art Gallery, the annual Boardwalk Art Show and Jacob Lawrence exhibit at Atlantic City Free Public Library.
The Commission’s mission has evolved to meet Atlantic City’s changing needs and economic landscape. Today’s Atlantic City Arts Commission builds on a solid track record of promoting and preserving arts culture in and around Atlantic City, including:
• Publicizing arts resources and events
• Developing programs of public arts, including the ongoing utility boxes project
• Creating and promoting new exhibition opportunities
• Cultivating opportunities to partner with other organizations to make the arts more accessible
• Making the expertise and experience of its board members available to all audiences involved in building and preserving arts and culture in the region